Solenoids, sig files, and air injection holes

>Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 21:59:48 -0800
>From: "Allan Weidenheimer" <allanw@domain.elided>
>Subject: Starter solenoids, bearings
>
>1. Ford style starter solenoid as a key switch relay:
>   If you intend to use this as a continuous duty (on for long periods)
>relay, you may be asking for trouble.  I don't believe these are rated
>for continuous duty.  Other types are available that are, and they
>will take the load off the ignition switch.

Allan,
Not to be argumentative at all, but this is a very common use of the Ford
type solenoid and mine has been in use for this purpose for 4 or 5 years
and maybe 45,000 miles. Actually, although the number is somewhat limited,
I've never heard of one of these solenoids used for this purpose going bad.
On the other hand, I've lost several relays, a couple of which were Bosch
and I would have expected them to be of very good quality. The thing with
the Ford is, I think, that the solenoid is rated at maybe 300 amps and
using it as a relay is sending maybe 30 amps across it. I realize that is
not really the point, with the point being that the coils that hold the
relay closed may not be intended to be on continuously for many hours. They
may not be intended to be, but apparently are well able to stand continuous
use.
John

>Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 18:16:08 GMT
>From: jlandry@domain.elided (John A. Landry)
>Subject: John H's .Sig File
>
>John Hofstetter <hofs@domain.elided> scribbled in the sand:
>
>>John Hofstetter , whom you can learn more about at  "Ol'Saline's Web Site"
>>www.goldrush.com/~hofs
>>PROBABLY MORE TO REMEMBER THAN EVER REALLY HAPPENED
>>Owner of 79 Scout Terra "It's a legend" with 8000 lb. Warn Winch, Detroit
>>Locker in rear and limited slip in front,
>> 4" Trailmaster lift kit           Holley Electronic Fuel Injection
>>Mallory Unilite Distributor                       MSD ignition
>>It  really is a legend, but it's too darn long and too darn wide sometimes
>>to go where I ask it to go.
>>National Rifle Association, Life Member            California Rifle and
>>Pistol Association
>>Blue Ribbon Coalition
>>Friends of Death Valley
>>Sierra Macintosh Users Group                                    MacTwain
>>Macintosh Users Group
>>Association of California School Administrators,  Life Member
>
>Is it just my imagination, or is John's .Sig file getting longer with each
>post?
>
>Regards,
>
>John
John L. is absolutely right about my signature and as of a few minutes ago,
I began a major reconstruction, following among other things some
suggestions that I solicited from John L. The sig file on this response
should be an improvement as to length. John probably assumed that I was
just joining organizations so fast that soon my sig file would reach
Richard's maximum allowed length and whenever I posted, no one would be
allowed to enter anything of theirs. Hopefully, I've reached a compromise
that will work a little better.  Only Howard had a personal comment about
"PROBABLY MORE TO REMEMBER THAN EVER REALLY HAPPENED"  which he made
privately. I think it epitomizes the stories that seem to develop around my
trips with people.

By the way, Howard gave me some concern that someone might take my
facetious comment about injecting fuel into the air injection system holes
seriously.  These holes go into the exhaust manifold so the injected air
can burn any unused gases, and injecting fuel in at that point would be
very interesting. I imagine everyone knew that I was kidding Steve about
his chirp holes, but just in case...
Thanks Howard for being so discreet in making sure that I was kidding.
John

John Hofstetter , who shows up at   www.goldrush.com/~hofs
PROBABLY MORE TO REMEMBER THAN EVER REALLY HAPPENED
Owner of 79 Scout Terra  with 8000 lb. Warn Winch,
Detroit Locker in rear and LS in front,
 4" Trailmaster lift    Holley E F I  Mallory Unilite Dist.   MSD ignition
Too darn long and too darn wide  to always go where I ask it to go.
NRA, Life Member   Calif. Rifle and Pistol Assn.