Re: I'm Humbled by taking apart a 304

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998 20:25:38 -0500 Tom and Amanda Lang
<rustnrot@domain.elided> writes:

>A question for Howard:  I have worked on marine engine conversions
>before, particularly Chevy marine conversions.  It appears that the I-H
V-8's
>would be absolutely *perfect* in a marine application; steady full
output
>operation for long lengths of time.  Did I-H ever market these engines
>to the marine industry?  I'm particularly interested, so I can determine
>whether I should search for wet exhaust manifolds, etc. for converting
>a 392 to marine service.   In any case, rest assured I will *someday*
>build a "classic" wooden runabout with I-H power even if I have to get
wet
>exhaust manifolds specially cast and a bellhousing for the marine
transmission
>specially made.  One thing about cooling marine engines, as long as
>the water pump works, you won't overhead until you've raised the
>temperature of the lake you're running around on to boiling!  Let's see,
the name of
>the boat, how 'bout "Waterall"?

Given the weight of the engine, how about "Boat Anchor"?  Yes, the IH
engines were actively sold for marine conversions.  This included the
6.9/7.3L diesels in addition to the gas engines and this is where I first
heard of turbocharge installations on the 6.9L.  One major converter was
in Franklin, IN, but I think this is the company that is now the Franklin
Renewing Center for rebuilding engines and I don't know if they're still
in the marine business.  It's not something we heard a lot about --the
engine division was a separate division from trucks and while there was a
lot of information interchange, the marine and other stationary power
uses like generators didn't affect us much, so we didn't hear a lot about
them.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts