RE: starter

>Does anyone have a starter for a 1950 L-120 with a 220 ci silver diamond
>engine?  Will later models with the same engine fit?  Any idea where I
>can get one?
>TIA
>Tom

I have both SD220's and BD-240's in various trucks, so I'll try to get a
visual comparison for you over the weekend. I'd be very surprised if NAPA
doesn't have a listing for the starter, however it may not be listed in
their truck books. If not, have them get out the farm and industrial
equipment catalog. The SD220 and variants were used on a wide variety of
stationary power units, etc.. Based on the research I did while rebuilding
my Cub starter, I bet they even list seperate parts like brushes, end
bushings, and the like. Some even listed bendix repair kits! I'd recommend
attempting a starter rebuild on something that old to just about anybody
with any electrical common sense. They're pretty simple beasts, and I bet
the #1 cause of failure is dirt and corrosion.

Jim