BendixRelayHeatSoakExplained?

JimG et al,
I reread your latest post concerning starter selenoid heat soaking.
I have had this problem before and attributed it to heat affecting
the selenoid coil such that it reduced and/or distorted the pulldown
capability of the metal piston.  This piston was able to engage the
pinion drive gear but not sufficient to ram the washer onto the
copper conductors.  I suspect the chattering noise you may hear is
this washer dancing on the copper bolt heads.  When you wired a
Ford selenoid remotely into the works you bypassed this problem.

I like this solution and unless someone tells me that I am about to
cut off the branch on which I stand, I will experiment with a remote
Triumph or Austin-Healey relay (at the very least it will reduce
current loading through the key switch) and probably, for kicks,
disable/remove the internal bendix relay and see how it works.
Another research project!  Feel free to comment on this.  Thanks!
Mark