Tark and Others: Starter Remote Relay

Tark,
Let me restate my starter confusion.  I was concerned that bypassing
the internal bendix motor relay might have one spinning the starter
motor before the bendix gear is engaged, thus  damaging the pinion.
I am making the assumption that you apply 12v to both the selenoid
coil and starter motor simultaneously.  If this is the case, do you
ever hear flywheel ring/starter pinion gear crunching?  Mark