Caught up finally and my questions

OK, I just caught up completely with all of my old digests.  Made it
through something like 30-35 of them in three sittings.  My thoughts and
questions on things now.

1)On the junkyard issue.  I think that it is a good idea, also maybe a
place on the FAQ where junkyard sitings can be listed?  Maybe we could
have an IH junkyard east _and_ west of the great Mississippi?  I think the
east coast is a little too far for me, though, how about Ohio, Tennesse,
somewhere a little more central?  Or maybe a few regional or even state
junkyards.  I don't know if I can volunteer our land, there has already
been some jokes about my one parts Scout.  I do think it is a good idea,
though.  Between two junkyards that I have been to, there are something
like four 80/800's I have seen.  Also a few trucks, didn't ask about II's,
however, but I know that at least one of the yards has a II or two.
IHMagellan (Sorry don't remember your real name), where in IN are you?

2)Tom M, on your CB question, have you ever thought of a very long whip
that attaches to your one of your bumpers and ties down to the other, sort
of like the military ones?  It would probably be kinda expensive, but I
think it would look cool with your bikini top on the Scout, don't know
what Julie would think though.  Oh, and why can't you plow fields at 35
mph?  We were picking the FFA fields at a little over 8 mph, flying by
most standards, and this field is only about 150 yards long.  John Deere
9500 combine with an 8 row head (its use was donated, can't complain too
much), it was interesting to get it going that fast before we had to stop
and turn around.  But I guess 35 mph *is* a little fast for discing.
*grin*

3)On the gas tank issue, someone mentioned that a GM gas tank would fit in
the frame of an 800.  I don't know for sure what the measurements are on
those,  but I do know that a gas tank from an '83 or '86 (I can't
remember which) Camero fits right into the frame of a late '70's Chevy
pickup.  One of my friends in high school built a dune buggy, and used the
gas tank from the Camero and put it in the frame of the truck.  It had
about a 1 1/2" lip all around it and that is what it sat on in the frame.
Don't know how it would fit in a Scout, however.  BTW, for some laughs,
try to imagine the dune buggy.  Chevy pickup frame, chopped about 2' off
the back and about 5-6' off the front.  VW torsion bar front end.  Pinto
v6 engine and auto tranny.  Camero seats welded on sheet metal on the
frame. Camero shifter and gas tank.  Believe it or not it ran.  Damndest
looking thing though.  If anyone wants me to check and see if the gas tank
will fit in an 800 let me know, I will see what I can do.

OK, now my questions
1)All this talk about keys and door locks have me wondering.  On my 800,
there is a lock on the outside of the doors, but I don't find one on the
inside like on any other car/truck.  You know, the little thing you push
down and pull up to lock/unlock.  Am I missing something, or is this how
it is supposed to be?

2)Does anybody out there have a good, relatively rust-free tailgate for
an
800?  My tailgate is about shot, so I would like to find a new one.  I
would be happy to pay shipping.

I think that is probably enough for now.

Dan Felix
1966 Scout 800
1965 Scout 80 - parts

P.S.- I did see another Scout yesterday.  I think it was an 80, it was too
dark to tell.  I think it was owned by a student here.