Why batteries won't die

You're missing the point.  Batteries won't die because electric motors
are so attractive (seen any trains go by lately??).  So people keep
trying.

Why?

1) The motors themselves are 95+ percent efficient, compared to an
gas I/C of about 25%.

2) You off-road fans:  not only do they put out a LOT of torque, the types
used for transportation put out max torque at 0 (read: zero) RPM.  As
low-end as you get.  Put one on each wheel, and get a REALLY long
extension cord, and you have the ultimate rock crawler* <g>.  Distribute
the torque anyway you want to with a joystick or something.

3) They're really quiet.  I'm like most people, I love to hear MY engine
but everybody else's bothers me!

I also see no point in trying this with a Scout (or pretty much any vehicle).
Batteries just aren't going to cut it, the power source has to be a diesel
generator - which doesn't offer the advantages in a personal commuter
vehicle that it does to say, Union Pacific- or fuel cells.

I figure to be putting a fuel-cell/electric conversion into an old CJ (IH's
were created perfect and therefore should only be tweaked for intended
use, never excessively modified) in the year 2020, at the very earliest.

*Actually, the ultimate ORV would be steam-powered!  Did you
know the Stanley Steamer had over 700 ft.lbs of torque???

'67 1000B step-side p/up  BG241 + 4spd
'70 1200D 4x4 Travelette 392 4spd
'71 1010 Travelall  392 auto
'73 1210 Wagonmaster, 392 auto