Keys

I posted this quite a while back, but maybe some new
folks can use it:
A while back I had a problem with my keys.  It seemed that
I always had to pull the key out of the lock just a little before
it would turn (door locks).  I finally went to a locksmith and
explained the problem.  He looked at my key (similar to
an aftermarket locking gas cap, I have a pickup) and said
it was too worn to make a copy from.  If the key were good,
he would have made a copy but not cut the key all the way to the
stop.  As it was, he was able to look in a book, compare the
height of my key at various spots, and made a new key
"from the numbers".  We verified it worked, then made a couple
of working copies.  I put the 'master' away and only have copies
made from it.  My total cost was under $10, and I did not
take anything apart.
If you plan to do this, check with the locksmith first to confim cost.

Good Luck
Allan Weidenheimer
72 1210 Pickup