Tranny slipping and such

>And JohnL, thanks for the detailed response.  In case anyone's interested,
>the tranny seems to be doing fine.  I'll drain all the ATF as soon as the
>snow is off the ground, or take it to QLube, or something.  For now,
>though, it doesn't seem like the type F is a problem, and replacing the
>leaky hoses seems to have done the trick.
>
>rob
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 12:54:14 -0800 (PST)
>From: Daniel Youngquist <dany@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: transmission slipping
>
>On Wed, 7 Jan 1998, John A. Landry wrote:
>
>> Probably better than stock, for it doesn't share the same coolant
>> heated by the engine.  On the other hand, on a cold day the engine has
>> no chance to help warm the transmission fluid and quickly bring it up
>> to operating temperature.
>
>Is that a bad thing?  I've always understood for auto transmissions it's
>the cooler, the better.

Rob,
I started to respond to the first of your posts, but then had the good
sense to look ahead and see if John L. or someone hadn't already posted a
response. John had and it was, of course, a good one. I usually try to find
some little thing in John's posts to quibble about, but in this case
couldn't find even one.
My son, who is something of a 727 expert, says that running low on fluid is
the single most destructive thing you can do to an auto tranny. In your
case, you can't, at this point, do anything about whatever happened, but it
still sounds like information you should have for future reference. Your
external cooler, as John said, is a good thing. If you put that screen or
whatever in, put it out at the inside of the grill, not against the fins of
the cooler, or the condenser or the radiator.
Daniel, I suspect getting the fluid up to operating temperature as an
important factor, varies as to where you live. Not much of a problem here
in California, but in Montana this time of year, I suspect the fluid looks
and feels and circulates more like butter on cold mornings. You're forgiven
for the triple post, and that from one who frequently apologizes for
screwing up posts by not putting in the subject or whatever.

A thought about 727 trannies in general. I made a post a year or more ago
about fluid leaking out of where the shifting shaft goes into the case and
said that the labor was extensive, but the seal was a hardware store
o-ring. Other peoples responses about dealing with this problem  sounded
like they were talking about something entirely different. Last weekend, we
changed the seal on my 79 Terra, and it was an external seal entirely
different than the one I had done before, and fit the descriptions
previously posted exactly. Unlike somebody described at the time, I had to
drop the valve body and put in the new seal rather than being able to do
the whole job from outside the tranny case, but maybe that was just me.
John

John Hofstetter a.k.a. Ol'Saline, who's been a lot of places none of us is
allowed to go anymore and that's a real tragedy, and who to quote the
senator from Texas, "has more guns than he needs but not as many as he
wants"
79 Scout Terra with 8000 lb. Warn Winch, Detroit Locker in rear and limited
slip in front, 4" Trailmaster lift kit, Holley Electronic Fuel Injection,
Mallory Unilite Distributor                                  MSD ignition
"It's a legend", but it's too darn long and too darn wide sometimes to go
where I ask it to go.

National Rifle Association Life Member   California Rifle and Pistol
Association
Blue Ribbon Coalition                    Friends of Death Valley
Sierra Macintosh Users Group             MacTwain Macintosh Users Group
Association of California School Administrators  Life Member