Re: Hubs

On Sat, 3 Jan 1998 22:46:33 EST STEVEROO <STEVEROO@domain.elided> writes:
>While we are on the subject of hubs, I have a question.  My 76 Scout
>has the auto lock hubs.  They seem to work great, automatically.  The
problem
>is that I can't lock them manually.  The passenger side hub will turn
only
>about half way then stops.  Anyone have any ideas that might help me
solve this
>one?
>Thanks in advance.

NOTICE:IF YOU DO NOT HAVE LOCKOMATIC HUBS, YOU MAY READ FURTHER, BUT DO
NOT BOTHER REPLYING THAT YOUR HUBS OPERATE DIFFERENTLY.  The following
applies only to Lockomatic Hubs.

The manual portion of your hub is a splined collar that engages splines
on the end of the axle shaft.  When you turn the knob, you push the
collar into engagement.  With a 1976, you may or may not have a hub that
has a spring-loaded feature to help get this engagement.  If you do not
have this, you have to get the ends of the splines aligned so that it
will slide in.  Jack up a wheel so you can move the wheel while trying to
lock the hub and see if it will go in.  You can remove the mounting bolts
and the outer part of the hub and apply a light grease--Lubriplate,
etc.--to the splines and the threaded part of the knob to make it work
easier.  Don't disassemble the inner part of the hub or the parts of the
outer part until you have good instructions as they can be tricky to put
together properly if you don't understand how they should work.

But even if you have the later spring-loaded mechanism, sometimes some
help is needed just to turn the knob.  Many people resort to pliers;I
have a nice cast plastic piece that fits into the knob that gives me a
bigger surface to grab and even with well-lubricated hubs, this is
necessary with one of my hubs.

To disengage the manual lock, you should shift into 2WD before trying.
In 4WD, the splines will probably be bound up tightly and you will not
get  them unlocked. (Manual hubs since 1966 are spring loaded in both the
in and out directions and operate much easier).

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts