Re: ihc-digest V5 #100

>>tire (does that make any sense?), so my problem appears to be in my axle
>>shaft, not the rim. There is in-out play on the shaft, but no noticeable
>>side to side movement. I also couldn't find enough crud or rust under the
>>drum to make a difference.
>
>John,
>
>Remember the important old rule of Scout repair... figure out what's broken
>before you fix it!  In order to figure out what's causing your wobble, might I
>suggest you consider buying a dial indicator?  Years ago I invested in an
>inexpensive dial indicator at a local tool store with an optional magnetic
>base, and in a situation like this it's invaluable.  A dial indicator can
>measure tiny movements of it's pointer down to 1 thousands of an inch or less.
>In your case, you could pull the wheel and brake drum off and attach a dial
>indicator via the magnetic base to the axle assembly.  The pointer would then
>be adjusted to just touch the outer edge of the axle hub.  As the axle is
>turned, the movement of the dial pointer would indicate any out of round
>condition.  Likewise, the pointer could be positioned on the hub face to gauge
>any side to side problems.  If the dial indicator didn't turn up any problems,
>then it's either the tire or more likely the wheel.  But since changing wheels
>didn't solve the problem, sounds to me like you have a bent axle???

My bet is that you have a bent axle. Bearings shouldn't cause it to act the
way it is acting. You wouldn't get eccentricity from bearings in my
opinion.

What John is saying is absolutely the right way to go, however if money is
an object , you can rig up any kind of a pointer that is portable and yet
will stay in place and bring it up to the rotating axle shaft and observe
with your eye any discrepancy in the distances between the pointer and the
rotating axle. Poor man's dial indicator. You'll easily see any
eccentricity.
John H

>>I figured I'd start by trying new bearings
>>anyway,
>
>Guess that can't hurt... but it it's a pain and would be a bummer to go
>through all of that hard work only to find the axle itself is what's bad.
>
>>but the IH manual states that ther are four different types of
>>wheel ends- unit bearings, adjusting ring, full floating, or tapered axle
>>shaft- but doesn't say which goes on which models.
>
>Depending on the axle year, it's either going to be one of the first two.
>
>>I don't want to tear it
>>down until I have the parts to put it back together. Can anyone help ?
>
>It's actually best to tear it down first to see what you have in the way of
>bearing design.  The bearings and seals are common and readily available.
>Unless you have a big hydraulic press, you are going to need help from a
>machine shop to press the new bearing on the axle shaft.  DO NOT use a torch
>on the axle as it could be damaged... hmmmm... maybe that's what someone did
>on yours?
>
>>Should I even be messing with the bearings, or does it sound like I need a
>>new shaft?

I wouldn't mess with the bearings until I checked the shaft. Waste of time
and money.
John H.

>Hard to say... see above.
>
>>Finally, if the bearings and shaft are fine but the shaft end
>>plate is not perpindicular to the shaft, can it be shimmed or milled?

Wouldn't be worth the time or money. If when you test it, any part of the
shaft or its end is bent, replace the whole things. I've never seen a bent
axle on an IHC vehicle, so if your s is bent replacements ought to be
easily available.
John H.

>I'll have to defer to others on the last question.  If it is bent, I wouldn't
>trust trying to bend it back in place!  A good used replacement might be the
>best idea.
>
>Good luck,
>
>John
>John

John Hofstetter a.k.a. Ol'Saline, who's been a lot of places none of us is
allowed to go anymore and that's a real tragedy, and who to quote the
senator from Texas, "has more guns than he needs but not as many as he
wants"
79 Scout Terra with 8000 lb. Warn Winch, Detroit Locker in rear and limited
slip in front, 4" Trailmaster lift kit, Holley Electronic Fuel Injection,
Mallory Unilite Distributor                                  MSD ignition
"It's a legend", but it's too darn long and too darn wide sometimes to go
where I ask it to go.

National Rifle Association Life Member   California Rifle and Pistol
Association
Blue Ribbon Coalition                    Friends of Death Valley
Sierra Macintosh Users Group             MacTwain Macintosh Users Group
Association of California School Administrators  Life Member