Re: head cleaning

Joseph:
For really nasty, grimy parts, I usually scrape the bulk off onto
newspapers, then take them outside and spray oven cleaner
on.  It is great at lifting grease off.  Then after letting it sit for
20 minutes+, put on some goggles and rubber gloves, and
scrub with a brush.  I have a few kitchen cleaning brushes
special for my shop.  Then I hose everything off.  On parts
that I am concerned about rust, this would be followed by
a blow dry with the air compressor.

The only problem I see for you is that you probably don't
have a valve spring compressor to remove the valves, and
you probably don't have an air compressor.  You don't want the
valve seats or valves to rust.  A compressor is something
like $20 at your local Sears.  If you take the valves out,
you can get by without the compressor by drying the seats
off and spraying something like WD-40 down the valve guides and
on the seats to displace the moisture.  Maybe even blow it
dry with a hair dryer.  Be sure to number the valves (punch holes
in a cardboard box, mark with a felt marker) so you can put them
back in exactly the same holes they came from.

To clean off heavy carbon deposits, you will need a really stiff
rotary wire brush for your drill.  Auto stores (better ones) carry
special ones just for carbon removal.  It also helps to have
various scrapers, old chisels, etc. because the carbon is really tough.
You should drop the valves back in when doing this to avoid
ruining the valve seats, necessitating a valve grind.  Also clean
the top and back sides of the valves if they are out.

It worked for me
Allan Weidenheimer
72 1210 Pickup