Re: Rolling Iron bumpers

>How 'bout a winch bumper and a brush guard welded up outta flat stock? Some
>snow plow marker rods out on the far corners?

I repeat, once more, that I *will* dig up AutoCad or play with Visio and
actually come up with some schematics of this.. *soon* but..

I intend, at least for the '72, to fabricate something very similar to
TONTO's bumpers.  Willie Worthy wheels with some of my fellow club members
(Mike Kelly, who set up the hybrid Dana 60/44 rear end w/ the Detroit, lives
across town) so if need be I'll have him double check my stuff but..

Look at TONTO, with the angle stock built front bumper, a square in front of
/ between the frame rails for the winch, with the triangles on the sides to
house some PIAA dual fog/driving lamps and we have the "stock" TONTO bumper.

I then plan to add some steel channel welded to the front of the "box", on
either side of the fairlead, which will come up to the top of the hood.

Actually, I'm not sure if it'll be channel, or if it'll be some plate steel
cut to fit a little better.. in any manner, it'll stick just a little
farther in front of the Scout (to save those rollers on the fairlead when
pushing folks), with the upward posts coming "back" a little for additional
support.

Add some 2 or 3" tube between the posts to mount some lights.. I have 2 100w
Daylighters in the garage, plus I want some rectangular driving lights (Do
the rect. lights make a better close-up spread?  the Daylighters on my '77
work great at speed, but I also want that ground right in front of me to be
*really* lit up)

I haven't decided Yeah or Nay on the full grille/brush guard... I could
angle back from the forward uprights towards the corners of the hood, then
run some angle stock up from the corners of the bumper, in effect brining
the Trapezoid shaped winch bumper straight up via angle stock / channel.
Then just add some filler bars to keep things nice n' protected (but keep it
all far enough from the sheet metal that it *shouldn'* get pushed into what
it's supposed to protect)

The goal is max protection, a winch bumper w/ light mounts, a receiver hitch
up front, maybe a few extra tow points, and at the same time to not look too
cluttered.

Other thoughts include a tab for a CB antenna mount (for the summer.. unless
someone else has a better idea) and there'll be a "swing-arm" style spare
tire mount, just like in the cargo area of a Scout II.  This'll let me opt
to carry an extra spare on the front bumper from time to time.

Whew.. and that was only the *front* bumper..

Out back I'm not sure what to do.. either just like Willie's very simple
design, or incorporate a spare tire / Jerry can mount.

Will the IH-Accessories swing-away tire carrier hold a 33x12.50" (or a 35
when I make *that* jump) spare, *and* a 5 gallon military Jerry can?  Yes, I
plan to add extra support to the mounts per everyone else's suggestions.

I'll be looking for creative ways of storing my Hi-Lift and other tools n'
toys while I'm at it..

I suppose you could turn the two triangular light housings Willie used into
some tool boxes and mount the lights up higher.. hmmm..

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72 and '77 Scout IIs