Re: A little Problem

kenlipo@domain.elided scribbled in the sand:

>Got one problem that is worrying me.  I have a strange ground problem (I
>think). I drove to Mostrose which is about 45 miles away last night. When
>I left, the lights were real dim. Thought maybe I was due for some new
>contact lenses but then about 5 minutes into the drive, they brightened
>right up. Drove into town, saw Mouse Hunt. Scout sat for about 2 hours.
[snip]

Ken,

I have a few suggestions you might take a look at...

First thing *I'd* do is disconnect and reconnect the "front end wiring harness
dash connector."  This is one of three big multi-pin connectors that route the
wiring through the firewall bulkhead.  The one in particular I'm referring to
is just to the driver's side of the brake vacuum power booster... right near
the corner of the engine compartment on the firewall.  This little devil is
probably the number one culprit for headlight problems.  To "unplug" it, just
squeeze the ends together (right through the rubber boot) while you wiggle it
side to side.  It should come apart fairly easily.  You may want to disconnect
and reconnect this plug several times in the hopes of cleaning the contacts
somewhat.  This connector carries the full headlight current coming from the
dimmer switch... there's no relay in the system (if stock)!  If this does wind
up helping things, then when you get back from your trip you should consider
squirting a small dab of dielectric grease into each pin hole to reduce the
amount of contact oxidation in the future.

If that doesn't help, then maybe the headlight switch is going out on you
(corroded or oxidized contacts).  The headlight switch is easily replaced in
about 5 minutes.  After disconnecting the negative terminal of your battery,
all you need do is reach up under the dash and feel for a small spring loaded
push button under the headlight switch.  If you have the new one in hand,
you'll see what I'm talking about.  Push this button and pull on the headlight
switch knob... it will come completely out along with the stem.  One the knob
and stem are out, use a large screwdriver or coin (improvise) to unscrew the
ferrule nut on the front of the dash.  The switch will now be free so you can
unplug the wiring harness from it.  Installation is the exact reverse.  NAPA
sells the headlight switch for about $20.00 and it their part number HL6631.

One last thing I can think of is the headlight ground may have a problem.
Both of the headlights share a common ground (along with just about all of the
front end lighting wiring) at the horn relay.  The horn relay is just forward
of the multi-pin connector I described above, on the driver's side fender
wall.  This "common" ground is one of the bolts which fastens the horn relay
case to the fender wall... just under the horn relay.  The headlight ground
wires are black (I think) and should be "11" series numbers... like 11A and
11B, etc.

If your marker lights are dimming when your headlights do, then the "common"
ground is highly suspect, because as I said above, all the front end lights
share this same ground.  If your marker lights *do not* dim with the
headlights, then there's a greater chance your multi-pin connector or
headlight switch is at fault.

Good luck and Merry Christmas,

John
jlandry@domain.elided             |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout Traveler, V345A, 727, 3.54
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |