Low Profile Mirror Mounting HELP

Hello good little boys and girls,

I have a question for someone, but first the background...

Santa Claus, in the form of Dan Ness from New Jersey, paid me an early visit
this year.  Santa [Dan] had an extra set of the optional low profile
rectangular truck style mirrors to fit a Scout II, so he shipped them to me to
replace my smaller standard mirrors, one being broken by a flying rock several
weeks back.  THANKS AGAIN DAN!  (After being a member of this list for over a
year now, the kindness of fellow IH owners still amazes me.)  Truly a breath
of fresh air from much of the sess pool the rest of the Internet has become.

These mirrors measure approximately 7" x 10" and attach to the truck via a
large three point mounting bracket.  This arrangement is practically the same
as numerous mid-seventees Chevy and Dodge trucks and vans.  It's IH part
number 467-340C91 and can be seen in section 16-044 of the Scout II part book.

My question is this...

Can any other Scout II owner on this list who also has these same mirrors
factory installed PLEASE make two quick measurements for me?  I need to know
exactly where the upper bracket mounting screw hole is located so I can
accurately place the entire bracket assembly.  Maybe something like the
measurement of how far from the front edge of the door and how far down from
the first bend in the door sheet metal the screw is located would be good.
Any two measurable X and Y coordinates would be great really.  The other hole
locations will fall into place where they may (based on the bracket itself).
I've never seen a Scout II (that I can recall) sporting these larger mirrors,
but I have a sneaky suspicion that maybe one of the current smaller mirror
mounting holes might be used for the larger mirrors?

My plan of attack is to locate the mounting hole locations, drill large (3/8")
holes, seal the edges with rust resistant paint, install "jack nuts" (like you
see on Chevy and Dodge trucks) and seal around those with a tiny bead of clear
silicone sealer.  Then the mirror brackets will be threaded on.  This will
give a much nicer installation than the age old drilling of holes and using
tapping screws (that I see at wrecking yards on all the junked trucks sporting
home mirror mounting jobs).

Of course I plan to remove the original small mirrors, so if anyone needs a
diver side mirror in excellent condition, e-mail me off list and it's yours!
As I said, the passenger side glass is cracked, but you're welcome to have
that one too.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Happy holidays,

John
jlandry@domain.elided             |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout Traveler, V345A, 727, 3.54
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |