Re: ihc-digest V5 #72 Removing the rear drums

I've just gone through this.  I used a time honored technique that my Dad
showed me 30 years ago.

There are two things holding the drums on.

1  You must get a brake adjuster (bent screwdriver works fine) and
release the brakes.  Have some old fart like me show you.  Anyone who has
worked on cars for a while can show you.  If you don't the shoes will
hold the brake drum on no matter what you do or say.  **DO THIS FIRST**

2  If you take the rear wheels off you will see a small (maybe 2.5 in
dia) stubby cylinder sticking out of the drums maybe a quarter inch.
This is part of the axle and is used to properly position the drums.  It
is a tight fit in the drum.  Guess what, the drum is rusted to the axle.
To fix this sit on the ground facing the drum and get a 3 lb hammer.  Hit
the drum around the edge.  Go all around the edge where the plate over
the lug studs joins the cylindrical part of the drum.  Just haul back and
give a half dozen good whacks.  The idea is to brake the rust between the
axle and the drum. This make take a while.  My Dad used to get a 2 x 12
mayber 10 ft long to do it.  Scared me silly watching him do it to my
first car.  He almost knocked it off the jack.  The drum will eventually
just fall off into your lap.  *providing you have backed off the
adjustment enough.

My Scout has the same brakes as a Ford.  Any good parts man can get all
the parts you want, cheap.   They're on millions of Fords.

Same for the front calipers (79).  I paid $18 for rebuilt at Auto Value.
Again the same brakes are on millions of Ford trucks/vans.

Steve

Steven A. Stegmann
     _/_/_/    _/      _/_/_/ "No free man shall ever be debarred the use
   _/    _/   _/_/   _/    _/  of arms.  The strongest reason for the
   _/        _/ _/   _/        people to retain the right to keep and bear
    _/_/    _/  _/    _/_/     arms is, as a last resort, to protect
       _/  _/_/_//       _/    themselves against tyranny in government"
 _/_/_/  _/     _/ _/_/_/         Thomas Jefferson, June 1776