Re: Jacobs and EFI

<<1.  Electronic Ignition.
I am looking to get better cold weather starts, more power, and maybe
better fuel economy.   Does anybody have experience with the Jacobs
systems.  Are they as good as the ads claim?  Is it a project that I
can do myself (I have swapped engines and trannies before)?  Most
important, is it California smog legal?

2. Fuel Injection
Same desired results as electronic ignition.  Same questions.

With Electronic Ignition and Fuel Injection, would it make sense to
do one or the other or would both be the best bet?>>

IMOHSO (In my own humble Scouter opinion),
Jacobs ignitions seem like a good idea. Don't let the ad get you all excited
about gasmos and such. As far as I understand it (here goes), the main unit
(Omni Pak, Omni Team, etc.) combines a high performance coil utilizing
variable output (based on engine rpms) with what they call the "brains of the
system". The ad says that it senses variables in each cylinder 40 times a
second or whatever: This basically means that it senses resistance in each
spark plug (like an Ohm meter), and adjusts output for each individual
cylinder based on that as well. The high performance coil basically allows you
to gap your spark plugs much wider than stock, which increases general
performance. However, if you were to do this with a regular "high performance"
MSD or other coil, you would experience better starts and an increase in
power, as the spark must "jump" across a wider gap, but, the high power that
the coil puts out are unnecessary at certain rpms, decreasing fuel mileage.
Basically, with a Jacobs, the engine should start much better due to higher
output, but get better gas mileage, as the coil automatically cuts power to
the plugs at a given rpms. The coil will also switch into "high power mode"
if/when you step on it, as the unit senses for rpm increases/decreases, and
adjusts accordingly. Of course, I don't own one, so I can't really say, but
the concept seems right to me, and I'll tell you, its one of the first things
on my list this spring. It totally sealed from the elements as well, and keeps
your stock ignition system in case one of its components fail. I think it
still uses your points distributor, so I don't know if your engine will start
with a wet distributor or not. Anyone, comments???

As far as EFI, I was thinking about it a while ago too, and I just plum
skipped it. I think any carbeurated engine can run just as well as EFI. Sure,
they do represent a small power/mileage increase, but is it worth the $1000+
bucks. Gees, forget the EFI, give the money to me, and I'll have my Scout on
the road, and fully equipped. Not only that, but you converted to a 4 bbl
already, right? How much did that cost you (don't answer that one)? You really
wanna blow money on some crap like that? Not that they are really that bad
(although I've read many a horror story), if at all. Its just that its not
gonna help a Scout that much to be worth your trouble. You want better power,
fashion a carb spacer out of wood. Of course, you already have a 4 bbl, so
that'll hurt your low end torque even more. As far as mileage... forget about
it. The 345 gets what, 10-12 miles to the gallon. Your not gonna help it. Its
an IH man! That's part of the beauty. Anyway, I wouldn't. Personally, I'm
fogetting about any carb swaps or anything like that. For example: My engine
(according to J$&pers) could probably use a 2 bbl to increase power. I would
like to get rid of any legend in any uneducated persons head. This is not a
way to increase power, it just changes the power band, and IMO (though this
may be speculation) exchanges tend horsepower for low end torque. I will stick
with my Holley 1 bbl until it dies, and then get another one. I will perhaps,
fashion a carb spacer, and get some larger jets (to go along with my
turbo!!!!). But aside from that, its staying set up for what it was made
for... low end grunt!!! And I mean grunt!!!