Re: alternator and gold box question

Seasons Greetings

(It's a pretty silly thought but, what would someone do if you said that
to them as you dumped salt and pepper on them ??) Sorry, I've been writing
papers and studying for finals all evening.

	Anyway, I have a 76 traveler that a previous owner did some funky
wiring on. The gold box on the firewall is not hooked up. I 've been
driving it for some time now and have had no problems. The alternator
looks new so my question is: Does the gold box function as a regulator and
is it likely that this newer alternator has an internal reg and thus the
previous owner decided to just unhook the gold box? what would happen if
two regulators were in the same system?

	This probably relates to the early discourse on 63A alternator vs.
a 35A. At idle my lights are dim and when I rev the engine or drive
they come up to what I call normal brightness. sound like a lower output
alt ?

	I read something in a scouts west newsletter about a higher amp
Alt from a newer bronco being a direct bolt-on. Anyone remember that gets
the newsletter? I'll look it up and post it if someone doesn't get to it
before me.

	BTW, there was a recent string on aluminum and rust proofing etc.
This is a big thing with Land Rover owners and info can be found in
probably every L R magazine out there. I was at Barnes and Nobles
Bookstore the other day looking through the Mags (Car Mags, I'm not that
desperate!!) every land rover mag I saw had an article covering this
subject.

	Also.. My Fuel guage isn't working and while trying to find the
problem I noticed that wire #36 (Fuel) is  on the lower right receptacle
of the quick disconnect where the wiring schematic shows it being on the
lower left (this is as you would look at it facing the dash) It looks like
it came that way from the factory, was it just an oversight that a change
was left out of the manual or is it possible someone switched it by
accident ? comments?

Regards,

 - Mark A Pepe
mpepe@domain.elided