Alts, and One-Point 360s

Scott,

        AFAIK, the red wire to the back of the alternator is the 12V reference
voltage for the regulator inside.  The two wires on the plug are: one to the
internal electrics(in the truck)/battery, one to the coil.  It may be: one to
the internal electrics, and one to the coil/battery, as with no battery in the
truck you can run the motor, but the lights will get REAL bright, since there is
now no reference.  I'm pretty sure the latter is correct since you can run the
car with no alt and the battery powers the coil. so, is this the way all?

One wire from the plug is coil/battery, the other is truck internal electrics,
ie. dome light, radio, etc.?

        When you're playing in there, just make sure NEVER short the
red lug on the back to ground.  It pops the regulator/rectifier at the
speed of light, then it's either a $12 rebuild kit, or an exchange
alternator.

        Speaking of Alts, is anyone else in the situation where a
previous owner bought a new one to replace a blown 63A unit and put in
a new 35A unit?  I'm pretty sure that's why we all have dim headlights
at idle.  My T'all doesn't dim the lights, and I've measured 53A at idle!

     -Joel Brodsky

         '76 IHC Scout II 345/tf727
         '75 IHC Travelall 150 4wd 392/tf727
         '72 Chev Carryall 3dr 4wd 350/th350 sold, but not forgotten.