Re: heads

< AFAIK essentially correct with the added note that 345/392's have different
 deck heights(a 345 is essentially a stroked 304) than the 266/304. It seems
 what we really need is a chart of combustion chamber volumes. Looking in my
 parts books, the bad news is the chart would have to be really big to cover
 all the part #'s, especially if you factor in the low compression 'export'
 heads. The good news is there are probably more interchange combinations(if
 you could get ahold of a specific part # head, of course). I can answer
 part of the 266/304 head question by pulling a head off the stuck 266 I
 have(don't hold your breath, it's on the bottom of the storage) and cc'ing
 it to compare to the 304 heads sitting on the bench. I'll be surprised if
 there's a significant difference.

 Jim  >>

Jim,

Here's something to check if you happen to have heads from 304 and 345 both
available to compare.  The 345 has a taller deck height and therefore a wider
intake manifold.  I believe (this needs verified) that the height of the
intake runner from the deck surface is different between 304 and 345.  Also
worth checking, I suspect that the angle between the deck surface of the head
and the intake manifold mounting surface is different on 304 vs 345, but this
needs verified.  On 266 vs 304, I'd expect this angle to be the same, but
there may be a change in intake runner location.  It's probably worth taking a
look at.  I've been wanting to check the 304 vs 345 for a while, but I don't
have a loose set of 345 heads.

Jerry Muncie