Re: Leaks

>A few years ago, it began to leak in the rain. I noticed this because
>the carpets got a little wet. This has been slowly increasing, to the
>point where even a light rain results in soaked carpets.
>So, do all Scouts leak? Just Terra's with thier unique top and bulkhead?
>Where are the main leak points? (I have never identified where it leaks
>from and I've sat in it with a hose sprinkler running on top before!)

My '72 and '77 Scout IIs w/ the full Travel Top (100" WB) both leak somewhat..

In particular, I've noticed the rear corner of the Traveltop's rain gutter
leaks (evidence in the streaks visible in the photo on my web page of my
yellow '72).

They also leak at the corner of the door gasket.. top front.  This has more
to do with BOTH Scouts having had the door seals cut (before my time) to
facilitate top removal.  The fact that the seals are rotten in places
doesn't help.

I've also had problems wiht the gutters just above the doors.. seems the
rain is supposed to run along the horizontal gutter to the "front" of the
door, then down along the vent window's angled side and off somewhere
harmless.  On my '72, the rain seems to run down the vent window's side, but
then, instead of deflecting off the side of the door, it runs right down
into the hinge, through the hinge holes, and right inside to the fender
(thus resulting in my floor board / fender/ body mount cancer)

My rear hatch may leak some too.. again, gaskets are rotten and cut.

Other places I would think are good candidates...

Kick vents (water coming from the cowl), perhaps around / under the heater
ducts (hey, it's a factory hole through the firewall)

My windshields have never leaked.

Beyond all that.. pretty water tight.  I just need to order some new door
seals and I'll be in much better shape (and I'll keep the cut ones for the
summer)

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72 and '77 Scout IIs