Ed Kraus - Exhaust system price

Ed:

If I read your post right, you are inquiring as to if a $170 price on a
complete exhaust system is a good price.

I don't know where you live, but having recently had only mufflers and
tailpipes put on my Scout in the San Francisco Bay area, I can tell you
that the price is fantastic.

I wanted to replace my entire exhaust from manifolds on out. I really
wanted stainless steel (last for a lifetime). But, I was "downsized" and
not ready to commit too much money. I got several quotes in the $400
range for tailpipes and mufflers with the provisio to keep the current
head pipes. SS was out of the question. It would run more than $1,000!

Finally, at a hole-in-the-wall shop in Walnut Creek, the guy told me
that he had the old patterns for a Scout and he would bend up 2.25" pipe
and put in some cheap mufflers for me for $220. Of course, I jumped at
that in comparison to the others.

Now that I have been gainfully employed for almost two years and I found
this digest and am willing to spend some money on the old Scout, I'm
sorry I didn't get better mufflers. These cheap ones are a little loud
and they resonate at freeway speeds. When I'm off road, the quite of the
woods makes me want to keep the volume way down too.

Tom Harais
'76 Terra 304/727