re Speedo thing

>I'm trying to figure out what is in between the upper and lower
speedometer cables in my nephews 71 scout II.  It has a circular
appearance, has Holley written on it and has two vacuum lines attached.
The lines aren't hooked up to anything.

Most likely the speed sensor. When the vehicle is moving at about 1800
revs (Wheels, not the engine) the valve in that unit opens up and
(sends?) vaccum to the dashpot on the carburetor holding the throttle
open. It does this to maintain a burnable mixture as you take your foot
off the accelerator to slow down and thus reduce emmisions. BTW I don't
know many people who have it connected and/or know what it is but I am
sure it will reduce the smell from the exaust when you back off down a
hill or come to a quick stop at a light. Somone else could probably
expand on this theory.

Bryan