Re overfiring

>If anyone can think of anything else I'm just to stupid to think
of or that I'm completely overlooking,

The condenser on the coil is to help stop RF interference on your radio.
I would be very suprised if that was the problem, but you can replace it
or disconnect it and see if the problem goes away. My next guess is the
High tension wire from the coil to the distributor that may be going
high resistance when it gets hot. Have you tried watching the engine in
the dark and looking for sparking?
Just don't let your friends catch you :-)

Bryan