re: A Thought on Seats, and Diesel Parts

>Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 14:47:13 -0500 (EST)
>From: Mc25a@domain.elided
>Subject: A thought on seats
>>Bucket seat swaps.  Where is the "slide rails" on the stock bucket
>>seats?  Are the rails in the base, or in the seat?  Or, to get to the
>>point, anything special I need to do to mount a non-stock seat the
>>bucket
>>seat bases to faciliate sliding the seat forward and aft, and any
>>recommendations on makeing sure the seat folds forward far >>enough?  I
was
>>thinking of perhaps some Honda bucket seats, but I've never been >>in a
>>2-door Honda.. and the 4-door front buckets flip forward, but not >>*too*
>>far (IMHO, not far 'nuff to allow me to climb through the door and into
>>the backseat.. even if they were installed in a Scout II with a larger
>>door opening)
>I saw in Northern Hydraulics some of the pneumatic seats like the >ones
that
>are used in tractors and such.  The pneumatic assist can be adjusted >from
>very stiff to alot of bounce.  They are cloth and appear to be similiar >to
>low back seat in height.  They are about 350 complete each which is >why I
>don't have them now.
>Greg Marshall

I have one of these seats in my sprayer.  Air-ride and all.  They are
"QUITE" tall, base height wise, but then again, so are the scout seats.  If
someone really wants some dimensions on them, let me know and I'll take a
tape to mine.  They are very comfortable and I run the sprayer at about
20mph in the field with 66"Terra Tires (Same as on the monster trucks) and
NO suspension.

On the subject of seats, two more items.  I tried to mount some out of a
Chevy van (I had them laying around) with no real success.  On the stock GM
Bases, they were so tall as to put my legs into the steering wheel.  IF you
want to build your bases though...................

Also, I have a stock scout2 bench with the folding back laying around.
Needs to be recovered, but otherwise in pretty good shape.  I also have 2 of
the "captains" chairs with the IH bases that I took out of my '80.  The
seats aren't really all that good (that's why I took them out) but if you
want to buy some aftermarket high back captains chairs and have a really
sanitary mount, I'd part with them separately.  Not a clue as to what
they're worth.  They use the same mounting holes as the regular bucket
seats, BTW.

One last thing, not related to seats.  I have a neighbor with a 77 Terra 2WD
with a diesel 4spd.  Body's shot with a capital SH**.  Engine has over 200K
and needs an OH, but is running reliably and using oil.  Yesterday, he tried
to pull a Cat Dozer out of the ditch and blew the spiders out of the
rear-end.  He will consider selling it for parts, fixing it, whatever.
Anybody need any diesel parts????  Give me a buzz if you have a use for this
in the next couple of days or so.  If you just want the engine, for
instance, I might buy the thing or pull it for you.  Just a thought.  I know
some of the diesel stuff is kinda hard to come by.

John Stricker

Remove the "nosp..........."  Oh hell, you folks know what to do and
why I had to put it in.  If one of you real humans wants to contact me:
jstricke@domain.elided
"I didn't spend all these years getting to the top of the food chain
just to become a vegetarian"