Transmission gasket

Hi all,
I hope this is not covered in the FAQ, because I tried to look and couldn't
get in to check it out.  Anyway, here it goes...
I need to change the pan gasket on my 1976 Scout II
transmission...automatic, tf727? (I hope) I am pretty sure this is what I
have, and I got the gasket/filter kit at the local Napa along with enough
ATF to fill back up my rig.  My questions might seem ridiculous, but can I,
with no lift on my rig, and only 31" tires drop the pan and replace the
gasket as is, or do I need to jack up and support the front end?  I am
totally new to this one, and it is the only rig I have to drive...any thing
I should be especially careful of while I do this?
Also, I need to check my front and rear differentials out, and possibly my
transfer case.  I am driving from Texas to Washington State in Mid
December, and really would like to know that my 4-wheel drive will work
without a glich. What should I do to ensure I am ready for the trip.??

Any and all replys are appreciated greatly
TIA

Jim Coyle
1976 Scout II
345v8, tf727