Body mount suggestions?

Since our Scouts all tend to get the same sort of cancer in the body mount
and rocker panel areas, I was wondering if anyone has found a way to
support the underside without spending the > $500 for front and back body
mounts, inner and outer rockers, etc. I have a stick and wire welder, and
my rig isn't pristine enough to want to do a full resto, so I was thinking
about getting creative with square tubing. I also planned on doing a 1"
body lift, so I could just make my tubing 1" thicker than the standard
mounts and get the same effect. Anyone tried this? Also, the inner rocker
rail is a 10 gauge (I think) C channel that is 3-3/4" wide. Does anyone
know if there is a standard size that would come close? It looks like 3-3/4
x 1" would be about perfect. There is a metal salvage yard near me that has
castoffs, so I plan on stopping by with my tape measure and seeing how much
I could scrounge. I figure I could do the whole job for about $125
(including splurging on the $50 per side outer rocker panels)).  Any
recommendations would be appreciated. If I pull it off, I'll send diagrams
over to the faq.

John