Re: querky digest

At 07:10 PM 11/23/97 GMT, John A. Landry wrote:

>Any problems I've had with posting to the Digest are because I didn't
>understand the server message size limits or embedded 8 bit character
>restrictions.

a good time to mention these details:

the size limit is 10,000 characters; larger messages will be bounced to me,
and may or may not get processed promptly depending how buried i am.

on the new server, we have a restriction to 7 bit character sets, in
accordance with internet standards. email which contains 8 bit characters is
bounced to me. this is a feature; the problem i was having on wizvax is that
the older majordomo install couldn't filter 8 bit messages, and some users
can't receive 8 bit email. the result was that i tended to get great
steaming heaps of bounces with headers of "data format error" everytime
someone sent a message with 8 bit characters. please set your mailers so
they send something like "quoted printable".

finally, we have some new anti-spam features now such as the majordomo "global
taboo" lists. i had one subscriber who was coming in from a banned site; i've
listed the restriction as his posts were not spam. i'll be watching to see
if this situation recurs; i don't want to keep legitimate postings off the
list; i just want to prevent bogus ones.

cheers,
  richard
--
Richard Welty                                             518-783-9003 (days)
rwelty@domain.elided              http://www.krusty-motorsports.com/