Re Strange rear-end noise

>I'm driving home from getting new tailpipes run (they had turned down >in
>front of the rear axle- hack, hack, hack!!), going about 40 mph, when
>suddenly I get this sound from the rear that sounds like a baseball >card in
>a bicycle wheel.  It is speed sensitive, i.e. it gets faster as I >speed up.

I had a noise exactly the same after having work done on my exaust. My
Scout has a panel under the floor above the exaust pipe to help reduce
the heat. When I carefully looked I could see that it had been bent down
it the exaust process and would rub on the tailshaft only when I
accellerated or reached a certain speed. I'd check that out.

Bryan