Re: ihc-digest V5 #11

>Date: Sat, 8 Nov 1997 04:28:38 -0500 (EST)
>From: KaleMac@domain.elided
>Subject: Re:Engine "Dieseling"
>
>I have a 71 Scout with a 345 and a 2 barrel carburetor and it diesels
>most of
>the time when I turn it often for quite some time.  Is this a
>carburetion
>problem or timing or what?  Any suggestions appreciated.
>Aloha
>Charlie McKenna

Generally I associate dieseling with having throttle plates that aren't
completely closed to keep your idle up.  If they don't close completely,
the air and fuel that is drawn past them is enough to keep the engine
running.  I don't remember what the '71 used, but some of the later
models had an electric solenoid that serves a the throttle stop;when the
ignition is on, the plunger is out to give a proper idle speed, when the
ignition is off, the plunger retracts and the throttle closes completely.
 If you can't resolve the problem, you might want to add something like
this.

Advanced timing also adds to dieseling I believe--I wouldn't set it more
than 10 degrees advanced and 5 is probably better, although a lot of
people claim to run more.