Gauge problems

Well, I broke down and took the factory gauges out today to see if I could
make them work while I'm saving my pennies and getting the parts together
to put in mechanical aftermarkets.

I don't know if any of you have experienced what I discovered before, so
I'll relate what I found.

The gas gauge was doing the typical "3/4 full" deal, and the water temp and
oil pressure gauges were not working at all.  The ammeter shows discharge
when the engine is off, charge when it's revved, but a volt/ohm meter shows
13.4 volts at the battery at idle, so I'm not worried there.

I took the oil/water pair out to clean all contacts, pushed it back in the
hole without bolting, and cranked the engine.  I now see the gas gauge go
to full and the water temp starting to come up.  No change in oil pressure
or ammeter.  I say "allright!!" and put the screws in.  The readings go
back to the way they were.  "Darn!!"  Take everything back out.  It works
again.  "Hmmm?!"  Put the screws back in.  Nothing.

Somehow, the screws were shorting, or at least improperly grounding.  I
don't know why, but I solved it by using tape to insulate the screws and
the gauge cluster from the surrounding metal.  It works fine now as long as
I don't really cinch the screws down tight, including the gas gauge reading
properly full now (and the tank IS full.  I filled up yesterday).

Some of you guys who have not been able to solve your problems might want
to take a look at the same thing I did.

I have fresh 10/30 in the crankcase from yesterday, and the valves quiet
down immediately upon startup, so I don't think I have an oil pressure
problem, but I still don't have a reading.  Any suggestions?  I'm not
worried, unless someone thinks I ought to be.

Let me know-

Paul Brakefield
"Dirtball"

1966 IHC Scout 800- "The Beast"