Re: Automatic or Manual Choke?

On Mon, 3 Nov 1997, J. Michael Daugherty wrote:

> It seems that many of the digesters have converted their trucks to manual
> chokes.  My SII w/345 was converted to a manual system before I bought it.
> My parts SII w/304 also has a manual conversion.  Are there very many people
> using the automatic choke?  Are most of the conversions made because the
> automatic choke system has problems, or is difficult to start in some
> circumstances, or something happened and it was just easier to buy a choke
> cable rather than fix the system or some other reason?

I converted my '77 196 over to a manual choke because I got a great deal
on the carb.. :-)

Really, the manual choke vs auto choke is similar to the stick tranny vs.
the slush box.  Do you like to be in control, or would you rather just
mash the gas n' go?  A matter of taste I guess..

OTOH, with a manual choke, you can pull the choke out just a little, so
that the fast-idle cam turns only far enough to run the engine high, but
not far enough to close the butterflies.. this means, you have a
low-grade hand throttle.

Speaking of hand throttles.. I've heard of using bicycle gear shifters on
the manual tranny shifter stick to control throttle.. but I'm having a
hard time figuring out how *normal* throttle modulation is kept with an
extra cable in the mess.. someone care to enlighten me?

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72 and '77 Scout IIs