Re: ihc-digest V5 #1

Allan,

Yep,, grease them.  and here's why.  If you preload new tapered roller
bearings correctly they will wear in ever so slightly within a few thousand
revolutions.  I was always taught that this was the most critical time of a
bearing's life, not at all unlike initial engine start-up on a camshaft.
You can dip the bearings in EP90-120, but without grease it may take a while
to get the "puddle" in the hub assembly to a sufficient level in that first
short time.  Now some hubs will, some won't.  Some you can take an axle bolt
out and squirt lube in to fill the well, some aren't drilled through.

There is no reason NOT to put some grease in these new bearings.  The upshot
is, use a good quality EP grease.  For this I like gun grease, not the red
stuff like you get for suspension parts, but the moly disulfide you can get
at your local case/ih dealer.  This will be black or dark brown.  Why do I
like it?  For one, it's good grease and has excellent high pressure
properties.  Another is that as it is disolved in the oil it won't discolor
it like wheel bearing grease (Lithium type, the white stuff, or red) will.

My CO9670 likes this system and I'm sure your 1210 will too.

John Stricker

Remove the "nosp..........."  Oh hell, you folks know what to do and
why I had to put it in.

"I didn't spend all these years getting to the top of the food chain
just to become a vegitarian"