SteeringColumnsAgain

Misc Comments:
Thanks for the sleeping input.  BTW, what of the idea of erecting a
tent on top of the Scout2?  It has been done, but how would one
anchor the lines?

Steering shafts appear to use two different steering wheel securing
nut sizes!?  Of about five shafts, four (3 non-tilt/1 tilt) share a
common size nut.  One non-tilt shaft (I believe from my '74) has a
smaller nut.  Of course, I am using the smaller size shaft, the nut
is lost, and I have 4 spare larger size shafts and nuts!  Given my
abundance with larger nuts, I am thinking of swapping out to the
larger size.

Question:  Does anyone know the reason for two sizes?  Was there a
need to go with a stronger design?  No, I have not compared diameters
and other dimensions.  I only, last night, got as far as pulling the
steering wheel.  I will compare them, but I am baffled as to why
there are two sizes unless let's see: smaller = '74, larger = '76,
'78, '78 (as best I remember).  Typical of my projects: do only
enough damage as to make it undriveable (no steering wheel) and then
be unable to return to it for at least a few weeks.

Question:  There lives a locking disk within the column housing which
I want to remove, but I need the locking clip pressure function it
offers.  As I have already moved most electricals to the center
instrument cluster and de-locked the column, I do not need nor want
this large disk.  Comments?
Mark