Failed Emissions Test on 1985 e28 m30 3.4l

Hello All,

I just got the Vehicle Emissions Inspection done on my 1985 535i.
My car passed the Cruising Speed Emissions just fine, but FAILED
the IDLE emissions on both counts:
    - Failed: Idle Hydrocarbons (HC) - 241ppm instead of 220ppm
    - Failed: Idle Carbon Monoxide (CO) - 4.53% instead of 1.2%

The pamphlet that I got states the following:
Hydrocarbon (HC) emissions - Failed at Idle only
Hydrocarbons are unburned fuel.  Mechanical/electrical failures, vacuum
leaks, or a very lean air/fuel mixture can cause HC failures.  Here are some
examples of appropriate hydrocarbon repairs:
    - ignition system repairs.
    - Mechanical (engine) repairs and/or adjustments (e.g., valve
adjustments).
    - Carburetor or fuel injection system repairs or adjustments that correct
    lean misfire conditions.

Carbon Monoxide (CO) emissions - Failed at Idle only
CO is partially burned fuel, it is a colorless, odorless, toxic gas.  High
levels
of CO indicate that the engine is getting too much fuel and not enough air.
Here are examples of appropriate CO repairs:
    - Carburetor or fuel injections system repairs or adjustments.
    - Emission control system repairs associated with fuel delivery.
    - Computer air/fuel management and associated components.

Things I noticed that are bad:
Unstable idle (790-820 rpm)
Leaky (loud) muffler

Recent repairs:
Oil and filter change
Air filter change
Dist Cap, rotor and wires*
Alternator*
Battery*
Internal and external fuel pumps*
*all are attempts by previous owner to fix no-start problem, final fix was the
new rotor.

Could someone please help me figure this one out?  There are a lot of clues
here,
but too many to start randomly replacing stuff.  Has anyone had similar
problems?
What were the steps you took to fix them?

Thank You very much,
Peter
Seattle, WA