M30 Head Gasket Replacement Success

735i runs great after head gasket replacement. 190,000 miles on the first
gasket. Took the head to a machine shop to check for cracks or
warpage...NONE!  They bead blasted it and did a valve job. I replaced all
the water, heater, vacuum and fuel hoses in the engine bay while everything
was apart. Also replaced the cam seal, cleaned out the timing chain
tensioner, removed all crust from the sensor and t-stat housings. Cleaned
all electrical connections with D5.

Tip: If I ever do this again, I would remove only the exhaust manifolds
before pulling the head. Keeping the intake manifold on the head adds very
little weight and gives you more to grab on to when lifting out. The big
thing is being able to remove and re-install the underside manifold nuts
while they are easily accessible. They are an incredible pain to get out
(and back in) while still in the car, even with a $30 Snap-On "S-wrench".
Cost me HOURS coming out and going back in. Someone with thinner, longer
fingers might have an easier time with the nuts.

If anyone wants more details, e-mail me direct.

Chas
'83 633CSi
'85 528e
'86 325e