need advice re: heater control

Replaced my heater control valve back ion November.  Problem is, heater
works too well.  Most times, when I turn heat control knob off my car
still gets heat.

Anyone know if this could be because I screwed up the order of the
gaskets on the heater control valve (one gasket is flat, the other
wavy). I could go back in and swap them but I'd like to know ahead of
time, because reinstalling the valve is a pain due to its location.  Or
should I be suspecting something mechanical between the knob on my
dashboard and the valve, e.g., the vent door to interior doesn't close
correctly?

Any expertise greatly appreciated.

Happy motoring.

Tom Borden