steering box questions

Hey kidz!

I removed my 85 535i from the steering box. It had been leaking and
dripping, but now that its out, I'm having doubts about exactly whats wrong.
The u-joint appears tight, and there's very little play in the steering box.
I'm now thinking that it was just the return lines, they look awful. I had
the high pressure hoses rebuilt, they're lovely. Today I'm off to try and
find new mounting bolts. I'm thinking I'll reassemble the thing without
opening up the steering box and see if I get lucky.

Last summer I replaced the entire steering linkage: tie rods, center link,
and Pittman bearing. Some SFB (sushi for brains) had gotten a nut wedged in
behind the pittman bushing and it self detructed.

Any hintz?

- -doug

End of bmw-digest V9 #2440