Re: E36 - Rough idle when starting

You may have one or more fuel injectors that leak, and fill a cylinder (or
cylinders) with fuel, making a very rich mixture to burn when the engine is
started, thus the rough idle.

Try a quick fix, like Techron.  If that doesn't clean the injectors, and the
problem still occurs, take it to a shop to have the injectors tested, and
professionally cleaned, or replaced (if necessary).

Ron Buchalski
BMWCCA #76387
1995 E36 M3
1993 E34 525iT