administrivia: a request (challenge-response systems)

i've been busy cleaning up a mess made by a subscriber to one of the lists,
and i thought a note about it might be a good idea.

one of the anti-spam ideas which is gaining currency is the notion of a
challenge/response system. if i send email to fred, and fred hasn't gotten
email from me before, my email is "quarentined" until i interact with
fred's challenge/response system.

challenge/response systems generally interact incredibly badly with
electronic mailing lists such as the ones i run.

as list admin, i _will not_ jump through challenge/response hoops to
facilitate _anyone's_ subscription.

if any list readers decide to experiment with such systems, please remember
to whitelist any electronic mailing lists that you subscribe to; it's a
matter of common courtesy. if you do use such a system, and don't whitelist
the lists on digest.net, you can expect to be summarily unsubscribed.

further discussion of this matter is welcome on offtopic@domain.elided

richard
- --