re: muffler question

> My question is about
> European mufflers or any after
> market mufflers, what brand is recommended ?
> Are they better than the
> local store ? Are they louder ? Do you really
> get any more horse power ?

In my experience you will get little more than a
modest horsepower/torque gain from an aftermarket
system, if any. The most popular seem to be
Borla, Supersprint, Active Autowerk, UUC and B&B
tri-flow.  You can spend anywhere from $0-1000 or
more on a complete cat-back system.  If you do
buy an expensive aftermarket, I definitely
recommend stainless steel as it will last longer
than regular or aluminized steel and looks very
nice.

The most cost-effective upgrade is to find a used
exhaust from an E36 M3.  You may be able to get
one for free, or buy it for around $100-150.

As far as the aftermarket systems, my personal
preference is the B&B tri-flow.  It is not cheap,
but it looks and sounds great.  I put one on my
car a year ago for $1000 with the installation.
My car was also eating its muffler alive and had
a throaty With the tri-flow it is louder still,
but not buzzy like the grapefruit shooters you
see on some japanese and american cars.  If your
tastes are a little more restrained, I think the
supersprint offers a quiter sound.

Ryan

1994 325i 5-spd.
http://tax.yahoo.com