<E28> Hesitation.. another point to mention

Hi All,

Another thing I wanted to mention on my 85 535i with the hesitation problem.
It seems the problem is not that bad at idle when the car has no load.  The
car idles a bit rough, but when you stab the throttle it is not that bad..
bit of hesitiation.. However when you put the engine under load, that is
when the drop in power is very noticable.  Also when I drove the car up the
road last night to the local wrench (need to have it fixed, and have no
personal time) My girlfriend followed behind me in her car, and said that my
exhuast was smelling very chemical like.  When I asked her if it smelled
sort of sweet, and acrid stinging the eyes a bit she said yes, which tells
me that there is unburnt feul in the exhaust, explaining the exhaust getting
hot, and burning up a rubber hanger.

With both of these issues, I would guess it might be pointing towards a
spark/coil problem, and maybe a bad coil, or broken solder points on the
DME.. as someone else suggested.    The plugs, cap, and rotor, are brand
new..   This compounded with the ICV not opening/closing properly could
cause the problem, I am guessing..  Anyone agree/disagree?

Thanks
Ron