Re: Radio Reception problems

> Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 09:57:08 -0500
> From: "John Byrne" <jgbyrne@domain.elided>
> Subject: Radio Reception problems
>
>The '99 540iT that I just bought has spotty radio >reception in both AM and FM modes. Another '99 wagon that >I spent a day driving but didn't buy had exceptional >reception.  Any explanation for the disparity? Any >suggestions for a fix?
> TIA

John,

I'm an electrical engineer and my specialty is radio communications equipment.  Radio reception is effected by weather and physical surroundings such as buildings, bridges, etc.  The BMW antenna design embedded in the rear windshield compounds the problem because it doesn't have as much gain as conventional external antennas.  Did you drive your 99 and the other one you test drove in the same locations, with the same weather, and tuned to the same stations?  If not, you really can't compare them effectively.

I have an 89 535i with a high-end Alpine reciever installed.  I am using the OEM rear windshield antenna and the reception with this outstanding tuner is mediocre at best.  My other car with a cheap Sony tuner and external antenna outperforms it in all conditions.

The most effective fix is to mount an external whip antenna.  Unfortunately, this means cutting a hole somewhere and possibly impacting resale value of the car.  It seems BMW treats car audio equipment with the same priority as cup holders.  IOW, we shouldn't be distracted by music while driving zee car:-)

Regards,
Mark Agnello
89 535i
92 Toyota Celica AWD Turbo