Re: Anti-seize on lug nuts -- yes or no?

MBrown1003@domain.elided wrote:

> Winter is finally letting go here in New England.  The snow is almost
> all gone, so it's just about time to get the real tires back onto my M5.

Yes!  Spring is finally in the air.  While I love it, I've had my fill of
tail-wagging in the snow.  I'm ready for sticky summer rubber, also.

> Anti-seize compound on the lug nuts?  Whattayathink?

Most engineers (among others...) will tell you that torque values for
lug nuts are typically for DRY threads since the common practice is to
specify lubrication if it is to be used.  It would follow, then, that
this is exactly what you should do -- put them on dry.

Aside from the fact that I'm a Mech. E. myself, I also live in New
England.  I'd be very surprised if the threads on your lugs met the
other unspoken condition for those torque values -- clean.  I've had
enough experience in this climate to know that lugs will eventually
develop a nasty bit of corrosion without anti-seize.  This can effect
the clamping force generated by a given torque to an extent as least
as great as lubrication, but in the opposite direction.

The way I see it, putting a light coating of antiseize on lugs at least
keeps them free of corrosion, if a bit lubricated.  My attitude is that
repeatability is more important than dry.  And a bit too tight is better
than a bit too loose.

Regards,
Mike Kohlbrenner