Purchase Tips? -- 1998 323i Convertible

My father is purchasing a convertible to replace his dying 1984 VW
Rabbit convertible and he's found a couple 1998 323i's which look
interesting. I was wondering if anyone has any tips on stuff to look
for/look out for when purchasing this car. They both have right around
50k miles and look well maintained. One question I have is whether or
not the cars have a roll bar-this is very important to me when getting a
4 seater convertible. I read that the 323ci's (at least some) have
pop-up roll bars; does this apply to the 1998 323i? Anyone have any
problems with these cars? My car (an 87 325e) has been very dependable
and changed my dad's mind about BMW's in general. Any information you
guys have is greatly appreciated! Thanks-

Matt Brannock
Matt0611@domain.elided
87 325e