E30 rear wheel bearing (s)

Digesters:

My 1991 318is (160K) has gradually acquired a loud whine.  I am assuming
it's a wheel bearing but I am still unsure.  I raised the front end and
wiggled the tires by grabbing the top and bottom and got no detectable play.
  With the wheels off, the disks spun easily though.  Then I raised the rear
of the car and use a trick I once learned from a BMW mechanic.  With the car
on jackstands, I started the car and put it into gear so that the drivetrain
was turning the wheels (need to be careful with this one!).  Then I crawled
under the car and used a long screwdriver as a stethiscope against the back
of the plate which holds the rear bearing.  Both sides sounded like a bucket
full of rocks; so I assume that both rear wheel bearings will need
replacing.  I am still a little unsure, though.  Could bad CV joints give me
the same signal?  Any way to better diagnose this?  I can't tell any
difference in the whining on left or right turns, but I guess I wouldn't if
both bearings were bad.

Any opinions or suggestions out there?

Steve Ballard
Mobile