RE: car inspection woes

I'd be willing to bet that your car failed due to it
not being "hot" enough prior to the test.  Seems to
be a common BMW problem, particularly for cars that
are a bit "older" and maybe have some borderline
components (O2 sensor, etc).

Make sure to get the car good and warmed up prior to the
test, and if you have to idle at all, hold the car at a
high idle for several minutes prior to initiating the test...

Steve