car inspection woes

Went to have my car inspected on friday and it failed; According to the
printout it failed miserably in HC-ppm and CO-%. Not knowing what it was i
wanted to take it to an autozone to see if they could reset and clear the
check engine light which was on for the last month or so, to see if that
would make it pass inspection. Could not find one close to my house. Ended
up making the tough decision to take it to the dealer ended up costing me
$$$. They said that my oxygen sensor was bad and needed to be replaced but
they weren't sure that after replacing it if this would make it pass the
inspection. they said they also saw indication from the knock sensors that
it faulted once.
Can anyone tell me what else might have made my car fail inspection given
the results above? And also would clearing the check engine light have made
my car pass the inspection without having to replace the oxygen sensor?

The dealer told me not to have it inspected until I drove it approx 100
miles. They said this is so the computer can recalibrate the system with the
new oxygen sensor. I still have not took my car back to get it reinspected
but hope that this fixed the problem.

Thanks
95 ///M3