E36 Onboard Computer Problems

Hi,

I have a 1998 M3 with an onboard computer. Yesterday, the OBC clock didn't
light up when the engine was stared.  In fact, the OBC screen didn't light
up until I pushed one of the program (for selecting temperature, remaining
miles, etc.)buttons.

I checked the fuses, and they appeared OK.  The fuse for the clock also is
for the brake lights, which did work.  Until now, I didn't realize how much
I looked at the clock.

Do any of you have insights on what might be the problem?  Can I fix this
(I have two left hands), or should I go to the local dealer to get it fixed?

Thanks,

Jim Lofgren
lofgren@domain.elided