Re: E36 water pump

"Steve Ballard" <usaballard@domain.elided> wrote:
> I just purchased a 1999 328is (e36) with about 56,000 miles.  Could
> anyone tell me if this model has the plastic impeller water pump that
> I've heard about?

Steve,
The last month of 'bad' plastic impeller water pumps was around 6/96. So
you are definitely safe.
However, BMW went back to 'redesigned' plastic impeller water pumps some
time in '98. The only thing I know for sure is that my wife's 02/98
production E36 had a metallic impeller. The jury is still out as to how
long the redesigned plastic impellers last.

> If so, do I need to replace this immediately?

It's not a bad idea to replace those every 60-100K miles or so.
At least that used to be the water pump replacement interval on late 80s
bimmers.

alex f